Wednesday 12 May 2010

Gingersnaps Challenge - Pencils

The theme for this week’s Gingersnaps challenge is ‘Pencils’. I have to say I absolutely love my Coloursoft pencils. I used to really dislike colouring in but since I discovered these it’s a joy! They really do blend effortlessly and the colours give excellent coverage, even on coloured card like the Kraft base I’ve used here.

For my sample this week, I’ve use the pencils in two different ways. Here’s what I did.

Ingredients:
Stamps: Inkadinkado Morphic Bugs
Cardstock: Kraft; brown; white
Coloursoft (or Prismacolor) pencils, Sansodor and blending stumps
Distress Ink: Brushed Corduroy
Archival Ink: Coffee
Corrugated card
Sequin waste
Mini brads
Papermania brad making kit

1 Stamp the bee (Inkadinkado) in Coffee ink onto Kraft card. Colour the body of the bee and the honeycomb using the Coloursoft pencils. Use two colours on the bee and blend. For the two circles at the centre of the images colour just around the outline with dark orange, then using the Sansodor and a blending stump, blend the colour from the edges to the centre using circular motions. This creates a lovely graduated effect.

2 To make the bee ‘pop’ colour over his body with dark brown and black pencils, blend with a fine pointed stump taking care not to muddy the yellow areas.

3 For the background panel, take three coloured pencils and randomly scribble them over a piece of white card. I used a less sharp pencil for the main colour (yellow) and a sharp one for the dark orange so the latter created more obvious lines. Go over the whole background with Sansodor (keep dipping so the application is generous). Add more pencil and blend again if required.

4 Sponge brown in through a piece of sequin waste in places to look like honeycomb.

5 Assemble card as shown. I stamped and coloured part of the bee again to make a co-ordinating centre for my brad and sprayed the strip of corrugated card with Glimmer Mist.

Why not have a go at these techniques for the challenge? Do pop over and see what the rest of the Gingersnappers made too – loads of inspiration awaits you!

10 comments:

  1. Great card - I love the honeycomb look, I'll have to give that a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully made...I have some of that paper for exactly the same use...great minds lol...
    Love the natural look to this. You know what Katy, you're even verging on that 'messy' look you always said you could never do. MORE PLEASE! BRILLIANT!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Katy! I'm a sucker for corrugated cardboard, in whatever way it's used! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Bee really does stand out Katy and the pattern behind - perfect! The corugated card is so reminiscent of bees nests too!
    x Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card, Katy! The cardboard idea is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful card, they are my favourite pencils too, but I like to use them without blending... it's a speed thing, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, I love all the textures the background just 'pops' off the card. Lovely. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, this is STUNNING !!!
    love it
    isa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy fabulous card love the colours and that stamp is gorgeous, please bring it in June lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning! Love the bee!

    ReplyDelete