Thursday 10 July 2014

Frilly & Funkie Guest Designer


I am absolutely delighted to have been asked to be a Guest Designer for the Summer Heat Challenge over at Frilly & Funkie. My post on F&F is here.

After much deliberation and several failed attempts, I came up with this canvas featuring bright summer blooms for the challenge.

I wanted my flowers really vibrant so I've coloured them with Inktense Blocks, using them straight from the box like a palette with a water brush. I love the intensity of colour! I used the same method with the label.


For the flower stems I used my new jewellery making skills to create stems and tendrils from coloured wire - I think these are quite effective and allow the blooms to sit off the face of the canvas the wire is supportive.


I raised the bottle and blooms with silicone glue so the canvas is really nice and dimensional. The red twine ties in with the flowers. The background is patterned paper by MME which I gessoed to knock it back and enhanced with splat stamps (IndigoBlu) and Tissue Tape. The bottle is an Artistic Outpost stamp.


Finally, I just want to show you a close up of the bookplate (please ignore my shoddy colouring of the words!!! You can't see it when the canvas is hung up as it's so small!). I've aged the bookplate with Watering Can Archival Ink - I simply pressed the ink onto it and then dried with a heat gun. It looks really tarnished - great effect.


That's it for today! Thanks for stopping by and good luck if you play along with the challenge!

K xxx

Stamps: Tim Holtz Visual Artistry (Wish), Artistic Outpost Apothecary (bottle), IndigoBlu Ledger (splats), Innovative Stamp Creations (flowers). 

4 comments:

  1. The vivid flowers look great agains the muted grey tone of the background - fab canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Katy! Great idea to pop the flowers onto wire stems. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful canvas Katy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful wall hanging, Katy! I really love the bright flowers that simply shine with summer's heat. The background is so perfect to make the focal image pop. Terrific piece of work. So happy to have had you aboard this week as our guest designer over at Frilly and Funkie. Hope to see you back playing with us again real soon.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete