Monday 23 May 2016

Antiqued Frame with DecoArt

I thought I'd share something a bit different today, in the form of a home decor/upcycling project. I created this altered frame for the DecoArt Blogger Outreach programme with some of a fantastic goodies they kindly sent me to try.

Creating faux metallic and aged effects is a favourite of mine and I thought the ornate style of this car boot find was asking to be transformed into an antique gilt frame, tarnished and worn by time.

I used the following DecoArt products:
- Media Black Gesso
- Dazzing Metallics Emperor's Gold
- Metallic Lustre Gold Rush
- Media Antiquing Cream Carbon Black


1 Like an idiot I forgot to take a pic of the frame before I started (*face palm*). Suffice to say it was a pretty ugly cheap resin frame I got at a car boot sale. To prime the frame, give it a coat of DecoArt Media black gesso. Use a hogs hair brush (not a smooth brush) if you can as it helps get the paint into the nooks and crannies.


2 Add a coat of Dazzling Metallics Emperor's Gold - I found one coat to be sufficient.


3 Once the metallic paint is dry, add a coat of Carbon Black Antiquing Cream (at which juncture my husband said, 'what was the point of that? You've just painted it black again', to which I replied 'wait for the magic')!


4 Even when fully dry the Antiquing Cream remains reactive. After it is fully dry (and you can speed it with a heat tool if required), wipe it back with a baby wipe or damp cloth. You can see the cream stays in the recesses giving a cool aged effect.


5 Having added shadows in the recesses, I now want to highlight the raised areas so I applied some Gold Rush Metallic Lustre with my finger. This product is like a gilding wax.


6 Finally, if any of your highlights are too bright or (like me) you got a bit too gung-ho with the lustre in places, dry brush some black gesso over to further antique the finish. As the Antiquing Cream isn't permanent. at this stage you will want to varnish your piece. The cream is water-reactive, so I'd recommend a spray varnish so you don't have to use a brush which could move the cream around as you work.


I haven't decided what to do with my frame yet, but as I recently started doing my family history I think it might end up being the home to some vintage photographs.

Hope you liked my tutorial today. Thanks for popping by.

Katy x

4 comments:

  1. Wow - such a BEAUTY you created Katy. It would be SPLENDID with some vintage family photos too! All the nooks and crannies with the black under the gold - LUSCIOUS. SUPER CREATIVE! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous Katy!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete